Openair® Plasma – for tightly sealed, cost-saving bonding of headlights and tail lights
Modern headlights using LED technology last for the lifetime of the vehicle, thus eliminating the need to change bulbs. To ensure this longevity, they must be effectively protected to keep all moisture out. When bonding headlights and tail lights made of polypropylene (PP) and polycarbonate (PC), the adhesive must therefore have excellent sealing properties as well as providing reliable adhesion.
Precise localized pretreatment with Openair® Plasma activates the non-polar materials in all critical areas, ensuring reliable bonding and long-term sealing of the headlights.
Openair® Plasma pretreatment of headlights is one of the most successful industrial applications of plasma technology. Headlight manufacturing would be unthinkable today without this technique.All leading manufacturers of headlights use Plasmatreat’s Openair® Plasma technology.
Advantages of Plasmatreat’s Openair® Plasma pretreatment process:
- Highly effective, uniform surface activation without any heat build-up in the treated surface
- No deformation of housings
- Savings on material, as wall thicknesses can be reduced
- Pretreatment of the entire joining surface (including root and wall areas in grooves)
- Uniform activation also on surfaces of metalized plastics