The generator is an integral part of a functioning plasma system. The ideal frequency at which the generator should run cannot be generalized, since this depends on the desired plasma application and should be determined individually for each system. For years Diener has been producing generators with a frequency of 40kHz and 2.45 GHz. More recently Diener has also developed generators with a frequency of 13.56 MHz that run with a power of 100 or 300 Watts.
Advantages of the 13.56 MHz-Generator:
- RIE configuration is feasible
- Improved homogeneity when compared to 2.45 GHz generators
- Higher etching rates when compared to 40 kHz generators
- Easy installation of metal rotary drums
- Customized configuration and integration of trays and electrodes (unfortunately this can be quite challenging at times)
- Suitable for front-and-back-end semiconductor processes
- High deposition rates for plasma polymerization processes
The main applications for both versions of this MHz generator mentioned above are plasma activation, cleaning, etching, semiconductor- (front-end), semiconductor- (back-end) applications, and plasma polymerization. Impedance matching, which can be done manually or automatically, is a necessary component of these RF-generators and is always included.
Manual matching involves setting the forward and reserve power settings before the start of each process and manually regulating these settings periodically through out the set plasma process time. With the auto-matching option the capacitors are set automatically and then adjusted and corrected automatically for changes.
The following options can also be included: display of the forward and reverse power, safety switches (automatic shutdown) on door and vacuum safety switches, PC-Interface, and quarz stabilized frequency in accordance with DIN EN 55011.